LIFESTYLE FAMILY SESSION Q&A
WHEN WILL THE SESSION TAKE PLACE?
I love to shoot families when the sun is working to my advantage. In summer this means evenings work best, but in the spring and fall, both early mornings and evenings may be possible! I've even booked sessions in the winter (with snow!!) so if that is something you are interested in, don't hesitate to reach out!
I also love to shoot milestone and family sessions in your home if you are comfortable with it. Your home must have great light for this to be an option.
Where will the session take place?
Most sessions will take place within the Waukesha county area. I love to shoot in a variety of settings and have favorite spots always picked out, and am finding new locations constantly. If you have a certain preference as to location setting, I will do my best to accommodate that.
*There is a travel fee for any session that takes place more than 15 miles from my location in Pewaukee. Inquire to find out more information. Mini Session Days will always be in a pre-selected location.
WHAT TO WEAR
Finding the perfect outfit for your family session may take a little bit of work, but you probably have great pieces already in your closet that could work together! Use these tips below to help formulate a plan. If you need help deciding what to wear, I'd love to help with that!
5 TIPS FOR FAMILIES
1. Coordinate your outfits by finding a color palette you love and finding pieces that compliment one another. Avoid matchy-matchy and black as your main color. Soft, muted colors and neutral colors look great for my style of photography, please avoid bright/neon hues.
2. Layer and add accessories with a hat, headbands, necklace, jacket, or vests.
3. Wear clothes that are fashionable, yet still functional for the location. Keep in mind we will be moving around!
4. When it comes to patterns, a good rule of thumb is have one or two patterned outfit for every three people included in the session. Floral prints, polka dots, plaids work great! Also, avoid large logos.
5. Shoes! Remember that you'll want them to be comfortable as we move around, but please stay away from character themed shoes, athletic shoes, and bulky soles.
6. If you are looking to purchase new clothes, my favorite is Old Navy, as they are very affordable, coordinate well from baby sizes to adults sizes and have timeless pieces that photograph well.
If you need some visuals, here's a couple of pinterest boards to help get some ideas of great outfits that work well together and what works best for my photography style...
WILL YOU USE PROPS?
Lifestyle sessions are all about telling an honest story of your family, I like to keep props to a minimum - all we need is your family to tell that story. Depending on the location, I will always have a blanket/quilt with me for us to use, as well an old box/crate. I occasionally have access to a wagon, sled and other fun props if we can incorporate them into the session in a natural way.
If you have questions about including certain items/props in your photo session, don't hesitate to contact me!
A few other tips to help the session run smoothly...
- Relax! You may be stressed out and worried that your kids are going to cry, have no interest or pull out their stranger-danger faces. But if you set the tone for your family that this will be a fun, relaxed, stress-free session, your kids will feel that vibe too.
- I'll get a few "everyone smile and look at the camera" shots, but if you've looked at my work (hopefully you have) you'll see that I love to capture authentic, honest family moments, and that's usually achieved when having fun and just playing and loving on your kids!
- Bringing snacks with you may help should your child need extra incentives, but only use them if they are needed!